IFAM Santa Fe 2022 – Apply Now
International Folk Art Market, Santa Fe, 2022
- Applications Open: June 1, 2021
- Submission Deadline: September 1, 2021
- Selection and Placement: October 2021
- Notifications: November 2021
Artist Applications will be available HERE on June 1, 2021.
ORGANIZATION AND VENUE QUESTIONS
What is the International Folk Art Market Santa Fe?
Since 2004, the International Folk Art Market has hosted more than 1000 master folk artists from 100 countries in the world’s largest exhibition and sale of works by master folk artists. Artist earnings have exceeded $34 million and impacted more than one million lives in the communities they represent. The Market offers folk artists a respected place in the global marketplace to gather together and share their handmade traditions and to create economic, social, and individual empowerment.
When and where is the International Folk Art Market Santa Fe?
IFAM Santa Fe is scheduled on the second full weekend in July and takes place under a tented outside venue on Museum Hill in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The 2021 Market will take place on July 7-18. The 2022 Market will take place on July 8-10.
Who attends the International Folk Art Market Santa Fe?
- Each year IFAM Santa Fe attracts over 21,000 visitors (folk art enthusiasts) over a period of two and one-half days.
- More than 150 folk artists from over 50 countries participate each year.
- The International Folk Art Market is responsible for the exhibition and sale of all artwork available at the annual International Folk Art Market. Over 1,600 individuals volunteer their time to make every part of the event successful.
What is the Mission of the International Folk Art Market?
The International Folk Art Alliance doing business as the International Folk Art Market (IFAM) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. The mission of IFAM is to celebrate and preserve living folk art traditions and create economic opportunities for and with folk artists worldwide. The International Folk Art Market envisions a world that values the dignity and humanity of the handmade, honors timeless cultural traditions, and supports the work of folk artists serving as entrepreneurs and catalysts for positive social change.
When is the deadline to apply?
The next Artist Application cycle will open June 1, 2021 for the 2022 International Folk Art Market, Santa Fe. Applications must be submitted by September 1, 2021.
How do I apply?
The application is available for online submission HERE.
Who is eligible to apply?
IFAM welcomes applications from traditional folk artists whose work reflects time-honored community-based traditions, and artists who are inspired by these cultural traditions but who also may innovate upon them. Individual artists, cooperatives, non-profit organizations, businesses or individual sponsors are eligible to apply.
Can I apply if I live in the U.S.?
Since there are many venues open to American folk artists to show and sell their work, participation in this juried selection process is limited to artists who reside outside the United States or have legally immigrated to the United States and who actively create folk art that is consistent with the traditions of their native country.
Does IFAM provide financial assistance?
A limited number of financial assistance packages are available for first-time participants. The financial assistance form is included in the online application. Returning participants, representatives of major businesses or organizations are not eligible to receive financial assistance.
The packages are awarded to support an artist’s:
- International round trip airfare
- US domestic travel
- Local airport shuttle transportation (Albuquerque/Santa Fe)
- Educational programs
- Hotel in Santa Fe during the Market
The package can be expanded to cover the costs for a qualified interpreter upon discretion by IFAM.
Limited funds are available for financial assistance. Notifications of financial assistance are sent via email.
If an applicant does not receive financial assistance for themselves, or proposed interpreter, they are expected to manage their expenses to attend.
Artists who receive financial assistance must still cover costs such as: passport and visa fees, shipping, transportation within own country and booth fee.
What types of folk art are considered?
The folk art sold at the International Folk Art Market Santa Fe should have a foundation of traditional folk art. Contemporary items that do not demonstrate an innovation of a tradition may not be accepted. Tourist trinkets are not accepted.
What is innovative folk art?
IFAM includes artists who demonstrate excellence in innovations within their folk art traditions. Traditions may evolve over time in materials, method, design and/or products used. Collaboration between artists working in different traditions will also be considered.
Click here for more information on the Innovation Inspiration Initiative.
Who reviews my application?
The International Folk Art Market has two jurying processes.
- The first juried process is the Selection Committee. Your application is judged on a scoring matrix including artistic quality, tradition of form and final product, tradition of design and materials, tradition of production process, acquisition of artistic knowledge, community involvement, and personal and community innovation. Your story and your photos are given high consideration and are of major importance. The photos you send are the only way our two juries can see the detail and quality of your work.
- The second juried process is the Placement Committee. The Selection Committee submits approximately 300 recommended artists to the Placement Committee. The committee reviews the aesthetic appeal and variety, quality of the workmanship including the finishing details, the marketability of the pieces to the IFAM customer, and the relationship of price to quality in each category. Also, the Placement Committee considers geographic diversity, diversity of artistic medium, and newness and freshness to the Market.
When will I be notified of the result of my application?
The review process occurs in October through November. Notifications are sent out in November.
OTHER HELPFUL TIPS
What are the most important elements of the application?
- Submit the best photographs of your work. Follow the detailed instructions in the application.
- The work must have been made within the past five years.
- In the Artist’s Story section, it is important to explain how you learned your art form and what it means to you and your community
How do I determine what prices to use for my products?
When pricing items for a retail Market such as IFAM Santa Fe, consider the cost of: materials used, labor, and additional costs (such as shipping or business overhead). Use caution not to under price or over price your products for the U.S. Market.
How much do I budget to attend the International Folk Art Market?
Participants are required to pay for the following expenses:
- Production costs of folk art
- Passport and visa fees
- Transportation: airfare, shuttle, other
- Booth fee (see IFAM Fees)
- Lodging (approximately 7 nights)
- Shipping and Customs/duty fees
- Hand-carry additional luggage
Booth Fee and Other Costs
The booth fee for all participants is $600 USD.
*First-time participants, are participants 1) who have never attended the Folk Art Market | Santa Fe, 2) whose immediate or extended family members have never attended the Market, and 3) whose organization or business has never attended the Market.
IFAM retains a fee of 10% from first-time participants* and 20% from returning participants to help pay for Market expenses. In the event that sales are lower than $10,000, IFAM will retain only 10% of sales. IFAM also retains a 2% fee on all credit card charges.
Artists who apply for and receive financial assistance packages are still responsible for costs that include: passport and visa fees, shipping of your artwork, customs clearance, and the $600 booth fee.
The International Folk Art Market Santa Fe has a juried selection process. There is no fee to apply. Individuals who have been accepted to IFAM Santa Fe previously or who have participated in previous years are not guaranteed to be selected in subsequent years. Returning applicants must submit a new application for consideration each year.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the organizers by email: email@example.com, or call +1 505 992 7603