IFAM also invites you to join in building our community ofrenda!
Beginning October 15th at 10AM, drop by to place images and offerings for your loved ones through the month of October so that we might remember them as a community as we near Dia de los Muertos.
Things to bring:
- SUGAR SKULLS – fancy & colorful. Represent a departed soul
- FLOWERS – either wild marigolds, called cempasuchil (the aromatic flower of the dead) – or red cock’s comb
- CANDLES – Candles are lit to welcome the spirits back to their altars
- COPAL INCENSE to direct the spirits to the ofrenda
- DRINKS – water for the tired, thirsty spirits returning from heaven or tequila /mezcal
- PAN DE MUERTO – “bread of the dead” – delicious decorated egg yolk bread flavored with anis, orange or nuts
- PERSONAL ITEMS THE SPIRIT ENJOYED IN LIFE- favorite snacks, drinks, non-valuable items
- FESTIVE FOODS – traditional tamales, MOLE – a favorite necessity in the state of Puebla and Oaxaca, chocolate or skulls made from amaranth or tamerind
- PHOTOS OF THE DECEASED – this is a recent tradition as photos were so expensive in the past
Pick up any remaining items on November 3rd.